At the end of 2015, access to the internet from mobile devices increased considerably, surpassing the desktop computer for the first time. In the following years, the mobile world has only grown, achieving in 2017, positioning itself as the first device worldwide with the longest use.
Mobile applications are also not far behind, since according to the Mobile Global Report published by comScore in 2017, users spend more than 80% of mobile minutes in applications. For this reason, the app world is a great opportunity for companies, if they are able to connect with their users and thus achieve loyalty.
Apart from the basic tricks to reach a greater number of users and the importance of considering the latest trends before creating an application, there are specific strategies that improve App engagement. They are not simple tricks and most of them need dedication, time and effort, but if they are carried out correctly, without any doubt, it will bring great benefits for the application.
Next, we explain the 7 most important strategies to generate more engagement with an application:
1- Appearance of the app in the app store
This aspect is the first that should be taken into account. Why? App engagement starts with the first user interaction and this happens in the Google and Apple stores. If nobody downloads your app, you will not be able to carry out the following strategies because you will not have anyone to contact with, right?
For this reason, it is very important that you keep in mind the audience you want to reach and how to get the attention of this through the appearance that will be shown in the stores.
Some tips to generate more engagement through appearance are:
- Title of the app: use a clear and concise title. Try to include the name of the app accompanied by the most important keywords, in order to influence your positioning.
- Description of the app: it is considered the main marketing weapon for a good application sale. Explain in a few words the benefits that your app will bring to the user. Be brief, clear and concise.
- Screenshots: this is one of the factors that the user considers most when downloading the application, since it is a way to show how the app will be. It is advisable to use quality designs, according to your app and that draw attention. For example, screenshots that show a continuity between one and another, which encourages the user to see them all.
- Look at the competition: If an app is among the “featured apps” it’s why it’s getting a large number of downloads and, therefore, it’s getting the user’s attention, right? For this reason, it can be helpful to regularly review the highlighted applications, these can be a inspiration to achieve a good publication.
2- Guide users within your application with Onboarding
To start, Onboarding is the way in which you introduce the user to your application and familiarize it with navigation. How does this benefit you? As simple as facilitating the experience to your potential client. The main goal of this technique is to ensure that the user does not erase your application and continue to use it. The goal is not to create a tutorial, but to teach users the value easily and intuitively.
Recommendations for an effective Onboarding
- Establish a goal: Some Onboardings are didacticm others focused on conversion or maybe you have as main goal the collection of information about the user. Each app is a world and each one has its own objectives.
- Choose the type of Onboarding: There are two types of Onboarding: static and dynamic (animated). Dynamic Onboardings are those that usually capture the user’s attention the most and are most effective.
- Determine the duration of Onboarding: It is recommended that Onboarding should not be very extensive. Normally, a minimum of 5 screens or even less is enough, otherwise we can make the user get bored.
3- Use Push Notifications
The number of existing applications exceeds millions. Therefore, it is important that your application stands out from the others, so that the user decides to keep your app on his mobile. One of the most used strategies for this is Push Notifications, which can be customized to specific segments or even to individual users.
On the other hand, although it is important to send notifications, it is not advisable to spam the user with constant and irrelevant information of your app since, this could bore the user and cause the opposite effect: that the user delete the application from his smartphone.
An example of a good use of Push Notifications is Netflix, which sends notifications when a new show compatible with the user is available, as well as when new episodes of a series that they are following are released.
4- Use videos
It is no novelty that the user is much more entertained with the visual formats than the textual ones. In fact, videos can reach 10 times more views than another type of ad or content that only uses text and an image. If your company offers a product or service that requires guides or instructions for its use, the use of videos could be a good strategy to generate engagement.
5- Services based on geolocation
What are the geolocation platforms? They could be defined as social networks of opinions according to location.
Some of the advantages offered by these services are:
- Getting new customers according to a specific location: the explore function offered by most geolocation based services, allows the user to see nearby businesses and, most importantly, the recommendations left by other users. Through these channels, we can segment offers to specific users, seeking to encourage consumer action.
- Notoriety: when people enjoy and have fun in a place, they like to share it with their friends and family. The recommendations in the geolocation networks will help to give visibility to your business and facilitate the capture of new customers.
- Visibility: not only in geolocation platforms, but also in social networks. Each time a user informs on social networks that he is in a certain establishment, he updates his status and makes it visible to his friends.
6- Simplify payments
After all, the main objective of an application is to get income, right?
If your customers have to enter their payment information and shipping address every time they want to buy your products or services, they will surely decide to postpone the purchase when they have a computer or they will not make it directly.
For example, you can facilitate this process to your consumer by giving them the option to save their data for future purchases, through a single registration.
7- Facilitate the user to contact you
What users think about your app is the essence for success and a simple way to increase the App Engagement. Even so, many app developers make contact with them very difficult.
Offer easy access to application information, contact information and FAQ’s. Use tools like Zendesk to improve customer service.
If you take into account all the previous steps, you will get your application to get more and more engagement and, therefore, increase the loyalty of your users. Can you think of any other strategy?